Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 4 | Cassidy Dickens

     Day one on the reservation is halfway over, and I have to admit: this is amazing. Confessedly, I have never really been an "outdoors" kind of girl, so when we were informed that we may not have showers for a week, I could almost feel my stomach churn a little. However, it hasn't even been 24 hours, and already, my mind has been changed; after all, we didn't come here expecting a 5 star hotel, did we? I'm beginning to realize that this trip is about so much more than just having a cool story to tell; we have the opportunity every day of this week to make a huge impact on people's lives, and, more than anything, to show God's love.
     VBS this morning has to be, quite honestly, one of the biggest blessings I have ever received. This being the first day, we had a smaller group than we anticipated-- eleven children, as opposed to the thirty something I was looking for-- but numbers proved not to matter.  The kids I met today were incredible, to say the very least. They were all so cute and funny, enough to make me genuinely miss being that little. One boy specifically  made my day, maybe even my entire week, without even knowing it. His name is Tirso and he is absolutely as cute as he can be and as high strung as they come.  We were playing catch, and he accidentally stepped in some mud, so I commented that he would have to go home and wash his feet off.  Then he looked at me and said, simply, "We do not have a sink, or a bath, or a shower." In that moment, my heart broke into about a million pieces: how many times have I complained about my sister staying in the shower too long or using up the hot water? The reality is, everyone here is so fortunate, spoiled even, and yet, we are constantly wanting more.
     The point is, nothing can truly satisfy us except God. I cannot wait for the rest of the week to see what else he plans on revealing to us here in Montana.

No comments:

Post a Comment