Pages

Thursday, July 30, 2015

Day 14 | Shannon Robison

Well, today was our last day in Haiti. We will be leaving the compound at 7:30 AM tomorrow to catch our flight home. I am definitely not ready to leave. This morning, we had a dedication service for the house we built. Our team, the Haitian workers, and the family were there. The service began with a prayer, then songs in both English and Creole. We started with one of my favorite songs, Blessed be Your Name. Singing this song while looking out over the beautiful Haitian mountains was truly awesome. We sang How Great is Our God next, then the Haitians sang a song in Creole. Bill talked for a bit and mentioned how blessed we, the team, were for getting to be a part of the family’s life. This family was so unbelievably appreciative of the work that we did. The father presented each of us with a certificate, thanking us for our efforts. I never expected a gesture like that. We were surprised and truly blessed. After the service, we went back to the compound. People who sponsor children through BHM were able to meet their children while the rest of us started to clean up. We later joined them on the playground for awhile before lunch. I spent the whole time playing frisbee with Emily Conley and different groups of kids. The kids were part of a kindergarten class on a field trip to the playground. Seeing dozens of kids swarm the playground with huge smiles on their faces made me so happy. I think I was smiling the whole time I was playing frisbee. We ate lunch at the mission’s restaurant, Mountain Maid. I ordered a Havana hoagie (steak, smoked ham, and cheese) and fries. I was in pain after finishing the entire footlong, but of course, found room for dessert. Emily, Allie, Hannah, and I shared a banana split. It was magical. After lunch, we embarked on our bartering adventure along the street in front of BHM. The vendors were very, very persistent. After my first purchase, I became more confident negotiating prices and standing my ground. Logan said that he was initially worried about me bartering, but was proud after he saw me in action. I had fun bartering and am definitely happy with my purchases. By the time dinner (beef, shrimp, and vegetable stirfry) rolled around, I was still full from lunch, but indulged anyway. For dessert, we had cake and ice cream…homemade Mango ice cream…(*insert salivation here*). Today was exceptionally hot, so both helpings of ice cream tasted especially delicious and refreshing. After dinner, we had Bible study, a very emotional, tear-filled Bible study. People spoke about their personal experiences this week and how God worked in their lives. God has changed all of us. I have a whole new appreciation for everything. I am blessed well beyond what I deserve. My parents have provided me with more than I could ever need, or want. As if I didn’t cry enough during our time of sharing, my eyes welled back up when my messages from Mom, Dad, and Lauren were read. Then, when Eric said that I had a message from Stan, the tears rolled. Thank you, guys. :) I love and miss you all. Your messages have been so great throughout my time here. I do not want to leave Haiti tomorrow, but I am excited to see and talk to you all again. I am so, so thankful for my experiences here. The country and people of Haiti will always be important parts of my life. Pa volo Jezi (Don’t cheat Jesus), because God is good, all the time; and all the time, God is good.

1 comment:

  1. One final comment for the end of your journey! I repeat myself, but I can't say enough how proud we are of you Shan! Reading your blogs and watching the daily videos of the entire crew has truly helped us share in the amazing experience you've had. Being divided by so many miles, it makes us feel closer to you than ever. We love you so much and can't wait for our Skype date!!!

    ReplyDelete