Pages

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Day 8 | Shannon Robison

After 14 hours on the road and about 3 hours in the air, we arrived in Haiti! I could feel the temperature rising as our plane descended. Thankfully, the wind offered some relief. A van transported us from the airport in Port-au-Prince to the Baptist Haiti Mission in Fermathe. Traffic was not as chaotic as I was expecting. I was surprised, however, by how close the van came to stone walls and steep drop-offs. A few people managed to squeeze between our van and the walls, and two young boys carrying baskets on their heads walked between our van and the drop-off. We even saw a COW on the side of the road!!! :) We then arrived at the compound, unloaded our bags, and moved into our rooms. I went on a short tour of the compound and saw the hospital, the zoo (the ONLY zoo in Haiti), the two pigs, and the playground built by Gassaway Baptist’s mission team in the past. We spent the rest of the day relaxing. We played Spoons, explored the playground, threw some frisbee, ate dinner (Shepherd’s Pie and Coconut Pie), and had a short Bible study. Tomorrow, as a member of Bill’s team, I will begin construction of a house. We will be carrying cinderblocks and sifting a lot of sand in a desert with NO source of shade. I am so excited to be here and I cannot wait to see what tomorrow and the rest of our trip holds for our team!!!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmm.....piiiiieeeee...... ;) Proud of you!!! I love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We read Day 9 before Day 8..oops! Yes, love you and soooooooo proud of you!

    ReplyDelete