Pages

Friday, June 14, 2013

Day 1 | Emily Bleigh

Honestly, I don’t even know where to start. The drive was long! The plane ride was one of the worst, along with the best experiences of my life. This was my first time flying, and I won’t lie, this almost caused me to not go. The view of the islands from the plane was beautiful. When we arrived in Porta Au Prince, it was a bit crazy. Everyone was going through fine, and then they stopped me. A lady started asking me questions, but I couldn’t understand her. I was pretty scared! I turned around, and Lori mouthed it would be alright. So after we got through customs, we went to get on our bus, which was ridiculous too! This guy tried to take Lloyd’s cart, and he kept saying no. Luckily, no one tried to take my stuff. On the drive to the mountains, I saw so much. The one thing that stuck out the most to me though is a lady and her baby I saw selling things on the street in the hot sun. I saw her, and I thought, I have a home to look forward to going back to; maybe this is all she has. It really had an effect on me. What if all you had was a place on the street, hoping to make enough of an income to support yourself and your child? I will always remember the look on her face. When we got to the compound, we were told we had to wear skirts, even to work in. That was a huge thing for me because I do not enjoy them at all. I’m sure that if my mom is reading this, she will be ecstatic. By the way, I’m okay mom! So, this was my first day in Haiti!

1 comment: